10 unusual finds from the seabed
At all times the depth of the oceans and seas have attracted people's attention. The inquisitive human mind is most interested in whether there is a multimeter body of water creatures and what secrets hide the depths of the sea. For a long time these questions remained unanswered until colloquially researchers were not the first cell phones for dipping.
Expedition to the bottom of the various reservoirs discovered a lot of new scientific facts, and living organisms. But with them, the researchers found at depth and what did not expect to see there. It turned out that in addition to the hundreds of thousands of fragments of the water reservoirs of ships hide and other priceless artifacts, objects and natural phenomena. We will talk about 10 of them.
Engines "Apollo 11"
After the moon mission in 1969 engines "Apollo 11" were at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. In 2012, the director of the online store Amazon billionaire Jeff Bezos took to find them and to raise to the surface. Fragments of the rocket were detected by sonar at a depth of about 4300 meters. Salvage Operation took 3 weeks, after which the engines were transferred to the US space agency.
The meeting of the Government Commission
In 2009, Mohamed Nasheed held under water the first meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers in the world. Participants were dressed in suits and scuba gear. The meeting took place at a depth of 6 meters, near Girifushi island. Thus the president of the Republic of Maldives would like to draw attention to climate change and sea level rise.
Underwater cave Angelita in Mexico resembles a bifurcated world. Under a layer of fresh water of 30 meters it is like a picture of the terrestrial world under water: the islands, the trees with fallen leaves and the whole underground river, which is a layer of hydrogen sulfide.
The wreckage of ships lying at the bottom, the phenomenon is quite common, but what about the fragments of the train? In 1985, off the coast of Long Branch, NJ, two rare locomotive 1850s were found. It is not known how they were at the bottom. According to one of the assumptions, they can fall from a barge in the storm, which forwards them to their destination.
Ancient Japanese monument
In Yonaguni island in the group Yaeyama Islands sakishima islands Ryukyu archipelago, in 1985, divers stumbled upon an unknown rock formation. The find was named a monument of Yonaguni. The structure has straight sides and terrace-like stairs. Scientists suggest that the monument was built around 5,000 years ago.
The water spider
If you think that spiders live only on land, then you just have not encountered a spider-jewel of Cybaeidae family. Due to the peculiarities of the structure, when immersed in water, the air trapped between the hairs spider, allowing him to stay under water for a long time. Water spider inhabits slowly flowing and stagnant waters across Europe and North Asia.
The ancient city of
In the province of Zhejiang in China, at the bottom of the Lake of a thousand islands is a whole city. During construction of the HPP area flooded. The water took 50,000 acres of farmland and 27 cities. Most of them have been preserved almost intact.
Stonehenge Lake Michigan
In 2007, while searching for sunken ships sonar team of researchers has discovered at the bottom of Lake Michigan underwater structure. At a depth of about 15 meters under the water column is a structure reminiscent of the famous Stonehenge. It is assumed that the age structure is about 10 000 years.
together with the ships of their last resting place at the bottom of the sea and find the treasures. And many stories of treasures are not at all a legend. One such valuable cargo aboard the British merchant ship SS Gairsoppa. In 1940, it came from the Indian port of Calcutta, but to reach the destination the ship never made it: the ship was sunk by a German submarine. In 2011, the remains of the ship and 1,200 silver ingots were found, weighing 48 tons. But this is only 20% of the volume that was on board. The remaining 80% and the rest somewhere at the bottom.
The museum of underwater shapes
In December 2010, an unusual museum opened in Cancun. A gallery not on land and under water, in the shallow waters of the Caribbean. The museum collection is housed in the 2 to 10 meters depth. The exposition presents 403 sculptures, but they have to be replaced periodically as art objects overgrown with algae.