Cinema Lumiere Cinema in the Netherlands
• Cinema Lumiere Cinema in the Netherlands
At the request of the municipal council of Maastricht, the Netherlands, the former power plant and boiler old factory "Sphinx" was transformed into a modern cinema. The authors of the project were made by architects and studios JHK Verlaan & Bouwstra architecten.
Factory complex built in 1910 is part of the cultural cluster Timmerfabriek. It is assumed that the new public facilities give impetus to the development of this once industrial zone located north of Maastricht.
The complex consists of four buildings: chargeability to the monuments of architecture of a large machine room, two boiler houses located directly behind it, and a carpentry workshop, which connects the engine room with the other buildings cluster.
In the beautifully decorated machine hall is now located restaurant theater. On the ground floor there is a kitchen and a separate bar, connected to the terrace in front of the pond. The second floor, where previously housed the steam engine, was converted into a restaurant in an industrial-style interior is organically included in the elements of the old mill equipment.
In the former boiler room six screens of various sizes built with a total capacity of 500 seats. They are designed on the principle of "box in a box", when the smaller size of the new volumes are installed inside the existing building.
Entrance to a cinema complex is located in a former carpenter's workshop.
Photo: Marcel van der BurgCor Bouwstra