How to choose a bicycle lock?
Choosing a bike lock in a specialty store, there is no reason to spend too much time searching for products from reputable brands. Most anti-theft tools today are manufactured in China. Therefore it is better to focus on more essential points, such as the reliability of the design, the thickness of the rope, braid quality, ease of use.
The main requirements
Choose a highly effective means for fastening the bicycle can be based on the following requirements:
- is desirable that the bicycle lock possessed rope whose length is more than 1, 5 m. This will not only securely fasten the frame of two-wheeled vehicle, but also wheels, which often are the main purpose of intruders.
- To force the thief to suffer once again and increase their own chances of early detection of hacking allows the purchase of systems with a maximum thick chains and ropes.
- Favor recommended locks with metal casing, which is hard to beat with a hammer or damage the wire cutters.
standard types of fasteners
The main varieties of fasteners that are used in bicycle locks are the ropes and chains. And thanks to the low weight, low cost and convenience in everyday use most often can be seen bike lock it with a rope.
Even the length of the cable curl into a spiral, easily turn around the frame or seat rack, taking up a minimum of space during transportation. For example, a fairly popular bicycle lock Cyclotech can be easily mounted on the seat thanks to a special mounting.
With the cable a few meters long shackle can be any elements tightly bicycle design. In a way you can fix the cable to the trunk of a whole lot of things. In this case, even the longest bicycle lock with a cable weighs less than 1 kg. As for the disadvantages of bicycle anti-theft systems with a rope, then with little thickness there is a high probability of cutting. It's enough to reinforcing good scissors. But to deal with the thin wire, the thief would be the normal household clippers.
If we talk about the fixtures in the form of chains, there should give preference to products made of hard metal with a good padlock. Cheap iron chains negligible thickness is not only easy to cut with a hacksaw for metal, but also easy to break with his bare hands.
However, the bicycle chain lock anti-theft also has an obvious shortcoming. The most reliable locks because of its considerable thickness imposing different weight, it becomes too easy to transport plane. The chain can easily damage the paint on the bike. Therefore it is recommended to acquire locks with chains, closed with fabric or plastic covers.
As practice shows, the old cylinder and lever locks do not differ very high degree of reliability. If you are familiar skillful attackers opened such systems using conventional wire. More effective alternative can become a bicycle lock code.
Most combination locks have a shock-resistant metal casing and complicated codes. The main advantage here becomes no need to carry a key. The main thing - well remember the code value.
Anti-theft system with binding arcuate shape is difficult to cut with scissors or a hacksaw. Moreover, U-shaped clamps impossible to straighten a crowbar.
The downside of this solution is the lack of the possibility of attaching a bicycle to a tree or a pole in the absence of a wide special velostoyanki. In this case the only option to any of seat bike metal fence with a frame and a rear wheel. Add worth only that locks with a U-shaped grips most are bulky products. Therefore, they are inconvenient to carry on the bicycle frame.
The stops on the wheel
Eccentrics in the construction of two-wheeled vehicles are very practical, if necessary, a quick dismantling of individual parts during maintenance and repair. Unfortunately, and for criminals who prey mainly behind the wheels of the bike, it provides additional comfort. Solve the problem allows the use of circular wheel stops.
It will help you understand how to use a bike lock, instruction manual. To begin secure lock ring around the wheel rim. Then it is necessary to shut the lock mechanism and lock the locking means. At the end it is worth the extra time to check how firmly fixed stopper. Around the same principle for the bicycle chain lock operates.
Naturally, the stops on the wheel can not be called a perfect anti-theft means. In fact, if desired, an attacker could carry the bike on the shoulder or dip into the car. However blockers occupy minimum space, are lightweight and are easy to operate. The most efficient use of these locks in combination with other common systems.
Often bike theft occurs in the most crowded places. To attract the attention of passers-by at the right time, and scare off the burglar enables installation cycle buzzer.
Most models of signaling systems for two-wheeled vehicles are extremely irritating sound. Even strapped relatively unreliable lock bicycle alarm will be rather tough nut to crack for the burglar. The cost of such means of preventing theft starts from 10 y. e. If there is a remote control alarm price may be slightly higher.
To reduce the likelihood of theft of bicycle, it is sufficient to pay attention to the following tips:
- Attackers with experiment went out and brought to approach any lock, regardless of the situation. Therefore you should not leave the bike unattended for a long time, especially at night.
- It is a mistake to believe that the expensive, high-quality lock will guarantee absolute protection of the bike. Anti-theft systems exist to prevent theft, and professional burglars do not like to give up.
- , it is recommended to use several different types of locks to increase the level of protection of the bike in the parking lot at the same time. For example, using a long chain or wire can be fixed wheel, and a frame attached to the parking stand U-shaped grip.
- In order to intimidate intruders can use a series of light locking systems. Seeing balls frames, ropes and chains, the attacker probably decide to look for prey easier.