Army knives of different countries (see photo). Army folding knife
One of the first instruments of labor had a knife. Initially it was used as a cutting tool for domestic purposes. As time went on, it changed the manufacture of materials: metal replaced stone. Products began to be used as a weapon, and the first army knives. Different cultures influenced by the shape, size and even elements of decoration on the combat blade.
Army edged weapon
Knife - is a common individual combat weapons, battle-tested more than one generation. Its versatility will help to survive in harsh, extreme conditions and provide individual protection.
Despite the huge number of firearms, including silent and smokeless, army knives are still in service with many armies in the world.
In its favor is the following qualities:
- reliability (misfire is not possible);
- it does not require any recharge;
- can be used in a confined space (elevator, hallway or cave);
- is indispensable in the field (to open the jar, cut branches, to put a banner, under the water is easy to get rid of the network, and the like);
- to use it for release in extreme conditions (cut lines or prevent rope, belts);
- facilitate Equipment shooting positions.
Fighting cold steel has certain parameters:
- length of 17-30 cm;
- weight of 200-300 grams;
- blade hardness is not less than 47-55 HRC;
- center of gravity as close as possible to the base of the handle;
- handle not slippery;
- sheath: light, strong, silent (removing the knife from its sheath).
His appointment is extremely simple - silently destroy enemy manpower.
In addition, there are multi-function Swiss Army knife. Although he has a name, as a weapon in the Swiss army, he was not used. This is more of an auxiliary tool. Numerous accessories are making it very useful for field engineers, signalers, and the rank and file soldiers.
Army knives for survival are called to serve not only for self-defense, as much as possible to help the soldier to survive in extreme conditions. They handle a variety of small things, and the blade can be packaged can not only cut, but also to cut, chop, dig.
Firms producing cold steel to advertise their products, always pay attention to the shape of the blade. In fact, successful and functional is not so much:
- "Bowie". Blade as a duckbill with a classic tip. It can be used as a tool. At the butt blade may be curved or straight.
- "Drop Point". Teardrop-shaped tip of the blade is more like a hunting knife. He has no blade on the butt. An indispensable tool in the field.
- "Dagger". A double-edged blade sharpening provides a relatively easy penetration perfect knife for stabbing.
- "Spear Point". Has the shape of the tip of the spear in this area is of particular strength. Blade with a bend outwards, with thickness up to a level of the tip.
- "Tango". The blade easily pierces solid objects due to its thickness, which is still a massive almost to the very tip.
- "Houkbill". Sickle shape makes it easy to cut the ropes and belts. It will help clear the branches or bark to clean the cable.
Sharpening the blades
Apart from the shape of the blade, army knives are distinguished by the form of its sharpening. Below are the four most common:
- is applied to the convex sharpening cutlasses, in tactical combat knife does not occur;
- Dolov or shaving, apply sharpening of narrow blades;
- wedge - Optimum Blade for carrying heavy loads;
- under the chisel - is a one-sided wedge sharpening.
Modern grinding machines with program control can provide a variety of blade sharpening options with the utmost precision.
products of different countries
Each country has developed and produced Army Knives depending priorities and wishes of the military, usually special forces:
- USA: KaBar - knife marines, was developed in the forties of the twentieth century. Current models are made of thermoplastic (handle) and D-2 steel or Sandvic 12S27 (blade).
- Canada: Mod XSF-1 - designed by an expert hand combat, diver, combat engineer Brent Bechara. The original form of the blade makes it possible to pierce body armor. A double-edged weapon sharpening makes it a formidable and effective.
- England: British Army folding knife, compact and very functional. It has a straight steel blade (beveled butt), can opener and fid (can be used as a thrusting weapon).
- Italy: Extrema Ratio Col Moschin - dagger, having an asymmetrical blade. Adopted by the Italian Special Forces in 2002.
- Germany: KM2000BW standing on the arms of the Bundeswehr. Blade made of karboplastika, a handle made of polyamide fiber (reinforced) can withstand discharge current of 1000 volts.
- Poland: Gerlach M 92 is designed for Polish airborne troops. Blade oxidized, the handle is made of rubber.
Swiss Army Knife is a versatile and very compact set of tools. It is hard to imagine, but a small product designers managed to hold:
- a small screwdriver hour;
- large, flat and / or a Phillips screwdriver;
- can opener;
- a pair of scissors;
- large awl;
- a tailspin;
- Universal hook;
- key ring;
- saw wood;
- opener stopper glass bottles.
Modern technologies allow to further build: electronic altimeter, LED, LCD electronic clock, a laser pointer, a flash memory card with a USB interface and a digital MP3-player.
Russian Army knives represented by the following examples:
- Machete "Taiga". Characterized by differentiated blade sharpening. Fine chopping, digging, cutting the straps of the parachute, cuts any bushes, sawing and cutting. Inside handle packed small things necessary for survival.
- Machete "Beaver" - a military modification "Taiga". Besides the above features, it is still possible to apply thrust. Supplemented with a wrench, claw hammer and screwdriver. three pins are provided (they are screwed in the Garden) by which the machete can be turned into "cat". On the blade is applied lineup.
- Knife "Bumblebee" Army manufactured by ATS. It is a modern bayonet, part of the equipment, "Warrior."
- "Smersh" is produced in four different versions. It represents classical Finn.
- "Werewolf" - original modern officers knife. It should be in service of internal troops, it is popular with the sappers, signalers.
- "Pterodactyl" is used for active self-defense. It has a number of additional functions: can opener, corkscrew, wrench.
- "Antiterror" is designed to force the FSB structures. It has a high penetration ability.
For each of the armed forces, and even a separate entity rather various modifications of combat knives. What suits Sapper or the signaller is not suitable for combat swimmers and vice versa. Universal - no.